Spring is in the air, but butternut squash still is in stores (at least here in SoCal!) so take one home and roast it while adding some delicious spinach and feta for a scrumptious side dish. I found this recipe on Whole Foods website and changed from the original since I am not a big blue cheese fan.
1 butternut squash
4 T. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c. feta cheese crumbles
Juice of 1 lime
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 small red onion thinly sliced
1 10 oz. bag of baby spinach washed
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Roast the butternut squash while preparing everything else. Peel squash and cut in half. Scoop out and discard the seeds and cut into cubes. Toss with some extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Lay in a single layer on a baking sheet and oast at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
3. Combine feta cheese and lime in a small bowl. Mash the cheese and mix until almost smooth.
4. Heat oil in skillet and add onions, salt and pepper. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and combine until spinach is almost wilted and cooked down- just 1-2 minutes more.
5. Toss roasted squash and spinach mixture with cheese/lime dressing. Serve warm.
We served this as a side with grilled fish one night- delicious!